Seiten

Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Healthy "Snickers" Kind of Snack

At the age of 14, I had a time when I completely stopped eating because it made me too sick for words, and I was totally fed up feeling sick all the time.
At first, I felt great, as do most people when they fast.
But after some time, I realized that eating nothing wasn't an option for the rest of my life, unless I wanted my life to be a very short one ...
So I tried to figure out what was safe to eat, and ended up living on raw fruits and vegetables and nuts. My favourites were apples, carrots and peanuts.
Not a long term option either.
I'm far from this weird kind of diet now, but carrot sticks with natural peanut butter still are one of my favourite snacks, and inspired by the famous "ants on a log" I created my personal healthy "snickers" snack.

It's more of a concept than a recipe, but there you go:

Ingredients:

  • 1 medium carrot
  • 1 tablespoon natural smooth or chunky peanut butter
  • 1 teaspoon brown rice syrup (or more to taste; honey and agave syrup work well, of course, too)
  • 1/4 ounce dark chocolate, chopped
  • 1/2 tablespoon almond or soy milk
  • 1 dash coconut oil (just the tip of a knife)

Preparation:

  • Slice the carrot in half lengthwise and flatten the rounded side slightly with a mandolin.
  • Combine peanut butter and syrup.
  • Slather onto carrot halves.
  • In a small pot over very low heat, slowly melt chopped chocolate with almond milk and coconut oil, whisking constantly until completely smooth.
  • Spoon chocolate ganache over peanut butter filling.
  • Put the sticks into the fridge for about 30 minutes.
  • Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment